Enter your ZIP Code
to get insurance quotes in your area
Short Term Car Insurance
The usual way to go about getting car insurance is to sign up with one of the major car insurance companies for a term of 6 months up to 1 year. However, sometimes you just want short term insurance for yourself or your family members. Short term auto coverage might seem like something that would be hard to get, but it’s actually not too difficult. Here is who might benefit from temporary car insurance.
- Car rentals. If you’re the kind of person who rents a lot of cars you may find that you can save a lot of money if you get a short term car insurance plan instead of paying the rental fee. Let’s say you rent one a few days per week for a few months. Each day that you need insurance, you have to pay at least $25 through the rental company. However, if you get your own car insurance chances are that the price may be cheaper than that.
- Car shares. Zip Car and similar companies do cover you with some types of auto insurance. However, you have no control over what type of coverage you have in that situation. If you want to be in control and make sure you have enough coverage in case something happens on the road, then you will want to get short term car insurance.
- Car borrowing. If you plan to borrow someone’s car for a short period of time then you will need to get some car insurance. You simply can’t get on the road without it. Some insurance have short term car coverage for as little as 7 days, though most will want you to be covered for at least 3 months.
- Students. If you’re a student and you know you’re only going to be driving when you go home for the summer or during school breaks, then you will want to have some car insurance just for that period of time. Luckily for you, most car insurance companies do give a good break if you have good grades, so doing good in school can help you out a whole lot!
- Classic car owners. If you have a special car that you only use once in a while, you don’t need to have full insurance all of the time. That would just be a waste. Just get insurance for cars that is short term and you’ll have the best weekends and short spins to the beach with your fancy car.
So, if you think you are a candidate for daily car insurance then do some research and find the company you want to go with. You’ll save money in the long run and end up getting exactly what you want.