Enter your ZIP Code
to get insurance quotes in your area

Car insurance isn't the same in every state

Learn about your state

Wrong zip code

What’s the difference between insurance deductible, coinsurance, and co-pay.

Navigating the health insurance process in the United States can be confusing for many people. This can be the case for people who have not utilized the system before and people traveling to the country from other nations. There are terms in health insurance plans in the United States that not only have an impact on price, but also the amount of care you receive and what you pay for it. Standard terms that fit under this umbrella include deductible, copayment, and coinsurance. Knowing how these things are different from one another can make a significant impact on which health insurance plan you select. This article explains the general differences between these terms to help you make an educated decision when selecting your health insurance policy.

What Is A Deductible?

A deductible is usually a fixed dollar amount that you pay out-of-pocket before your insurance provider starts making the remaining payments for the eligible expenses that occur. Deductibles for health insurance plans are often annual deductibles, meaning that once the deductible is reached within a year, the health insurance company covers the related expenses from there on out. On another note, deductibles are usually a fixed payment that is made whenever specific injuries or sickness happens.

Depending on the health insurance policy that you get, your deductible can be as little as zero dollars and as high as thousands of dollars. It is vital to have a deductible that you can afford if an emergency situation occurs, since your insurance provider will not kick in to make payments until your deductible has been met. In terms of premium pricing, the lower the deductible is, the higher the health insurance premiums are on average. Some people choose to raise their deductibles in order to lower the cost of their health insurance premiums, and others choose to get a lower deductible to spend less out-of-pocket when an emergency situation occurs.

What Is Coinsurance?

Another definition that you should know is coinsurance. Coinsurance is most often a percentage and is what you will need to pay towards eligible medical expenses. There are numerous types of coinsurance plans, all involving different percentages. One of the percentages listed in the policy represents what you will have to pay for eligible expenses, and the other is what your health insurance company will have to pay. If the plan is an 80/20 plan, as an example, your health insurance provider will pay for 80% of the listed expenses if they were to occur. You would be responsible for the other 20% of expenses that come from the injury, sickness, or other covered expenses. Coinsurance is often mixed with deductibles for some things and co-pays for others.

What Is A Co-Pay/Copayment?

The easiest way to talk about copayments is to discuss their similarities with deductibles. They are similar in that a copayment is most often a fixed amount of money that you pay each time your insurance plan is utilized. If you set up a doctor’s appointment, as an example, you may need to pay a copayment to the doctor’s office in order for your appointment to start. Copayments can range from zero dollars in some plans to $50, but most of the time these are smaller expenses than a person’s deductibles. These need to be paid each visit, so if you visit the doctor five times for one illness, a copayment will be paid on each of those visits, for a total of five copayments being paid.

Final Notes

Insurance plans typically consist of some items that require copayments, some items that require deductibles, and some items that require you to utilize coinsurance. This is different than many other countries in the world, so doing adequate research when purchasing your policy can help you get the best health insurance policy for you. The terms of each health insurance policy will outline what your coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles are.

5.0out of 58 user reviews

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.